Our Club was a Founder Member of the Golfing Union in Ireland, so we have a proud history,
- -from the first Irish Amateur Champion in 1893 – Thomas Dickson
- -the only person to win The Ulster, Irish and British Girls Championship in the same year – Carol Wallace in 1968,
- -to the Open Champion in 2011 and British Senior Open Champion in 2022 – Darren Clarke,
- -the first woman to Captain an all gender golf club in Northern Ireland – Alison Chestnutt in 2022
Our Club has a long and illustrious past, yet we are a progressive and inclusive club and it’s for that reason that we were named the “Best Golf Club” in the Northern Ireland Hospitality Awards in 2019
The Club has worked hard in recent years to bring about equality and it was significant that we appointed our first female Club President in 2019. Now, our forward thinking and inclusive club have appointed Alison Chestnutt as Captain – the first woman to hold such a role in Northern Ireland. Alison said, “When people think of golf clubs they conjure up images of stuffy gentlemen in clubs with lots of rules but I’m proud to say that Dungannon Golf Club is nothing like that!”
Last year we signed up to the R&A and Golf Ireland’s Women in Golf Charter and set targets to make our club truly inclusive. We ran a very popular Get into Golf Programme for Women during the summer and at the end 20 women signed up as members. Our Junior Golf Academy on Saturday mornings proved so popular that we had to run extra classes. We took the bold step of offering girls-only classes and we were delighted with the uptake.
Dungannon is a club that’s brimming with positivity. We’ve seen membership grow significantly in the past couple of years – last year we had to close 7 day membership for men, and now we have a healthy waiting list, but we have ringfenced a number of places for women wanting to join. We’ve got
- -a great course, with hardworking greens staff who keep it in top condition throughout the year,
- -we’ve a talented PGA Golf Professional, an indoor golf studio and a well-stocked golf shop,
- -we’ve a modern clubhouse. Our popular Claret Jug Bar and Restaurant has gorgeous views over the golf course
- but what makes our Club special is our members.
BBC Newsline – Dungannon Golf Club appoints a woman as Captain.